Skip to main content Skip to navigation

Graduate Programs

The department of Horticulture at WSU offers the following graduate degrees.

Masters Degrees

Master of Science in Horticulture

A photo of a teacher in the foreground demonstrating how to prune a tree to a group of students standing in the background

The master of science degree in Horticulture is research-based degree that involves a formal research project with accompanying written thesis. The objectives are to train students in the experimental method and to prepare students for handling major projects after graduation or for entering a doctoral program.

Master of Science in Agriculture

Photo of a woman slicing an apple on a cutting board in a laboratory. In front of her are many more apples arrayed by variety.

The department of Horticulture participates in the Master of Science in Agriculture degree program offered by the College of Agricultural, Human, and Natural Resource Sciences (CAHNRS). The M.S. in Agriculture degree is fully online and provides practitioners the opportunity to further their education while they continue employment anywhere in the world. Students have the opportunity to direct their learning experience and tailor their coursework to help them meet their professional goals.  For further details please see the Master of Science in Agriculture home page.

Doctoral Degrees

Doctor of Philosophy in Horticulture

All doctoral candidates conduct independent research leading to a dissertation, with the objective of making a major contribution to the body of scientific knowledge in Horticulture. Portions of the dissertation research are normally published in peer-reviewed journals. Students in this degree option are expected to have completed a research-based master’s degree or to have equivalent research experience prior to enrolling in the doctoral program.

Doctoral-level Minor in Horticulture

Horticulture faculty are supportive of students from other disciplines who wish to minor in Horticulture.  A student who desires a minor in Horticulture should consult a member of the Horticulture faculty (non-adjunct) .  This faculty member must be appointed to the student’s graduate advisory committee, and may be the doctoral student’s major advisor.