Associate Professor, Small Fruits
WSU NWREC Mount Vernon
16650 State Route 536
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Office Phone: 360.848.6124
Areas of Interest
Program focus is whole-plant physiology of small fruit crops in response to alternative management systems that promote plant productivity, fruit quality, and on-farm efficiencies while maintaining the health of adjacent natural resources within the diverse conditions of Washington State.
- Crops of focus are blueberry, red raspberry, and strawberry.
- Mulching, pollination, and nutrient management are primary research foci.
- Ph.D., Horticulture, University of Wisconsin-Madison
- M.S., Horticulture and Soil Science, Iowa State University
- B.S., Horticulture and Biology, Iowa State University
Recent Peer-Reviewed Publications:
- DeVetter, L.W.*, S. Chabert, M.O. Milbrath*, R.E. Mallinger, J. Walters, R. Isaacs, S.P. Galinato, C. Kogan, K. Brouwer, A. Melathopoulos, and M. Eeraerts. 2022. Toward evidence-based decision support systems to optimize pollination and yields in highbush blueberry. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems. 6:1006201. https://doi.org/10.3389/fsufs.2022.1006201.
- Eeraerts, M.*, E. Rogers, B. Gillespie, L. Best, O. Smith, and L.W. DeVetter*. 2022. Landscape-level honey bee hive density, instead of field-level hive density, enhances honey bee visitation in blueberry. Landscape Ecology. 1-3. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10980-022-01562-1.
- Madrid, B., J.R. Goldberger, C.A. Miles, and L.W. DeVetter*. 2022. Risk and uncertainty of plastic mulch adoption in raspberry production systems. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems. 1-12. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1742170522000291.
- Madrid, B., S. Wortman, D.G. Hayes, J.M. DeBruyn, C, Miles, M. Flury, T.L. Marsh, S.P. Galinato, K. Englund, S. Agehara, and L.W. DeVetter*. 2022. End-of-life management options for agricultural mulch films in the United States—A review. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems. 6:921496. https://doi.org/10.3389/fsufs.2022.921496.
- Madrid, B., H. Zhang, C.A Miles, M. Kraft, Griffin-LaHue, and L.W. DeVetter*. 2022. Humic and acetic acids have the potential to enhance deterioration of select plastic soil-biodegradable mulches in a Mediterranean climate. Agriculture. 12(6):865. https://doi.org/10.3390/agriculture12060865.
- Wang, X., S. Shrestha, L. Tymon, H. Zhang, C. Miles, and L.W. DeVetter*. 2022. Soil-biodegradable mulch is an alternative to non-biodegradable plastic mulches in a strawberry-lettuce double-cropping system. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems. 6:942645.https://doi.org/10.3389/fsufs.2022.942645.
- Lu, Q., H. Tao, P. Ndegwa, F.P. Alege, and L.W. DeVetter*. 2022. Biofertilizer derived from dairy manure increases raspberry fruit weight and leaf magnesium concentration. Scientia Horticulturae. 302:111160. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scienta.2022.111160.
- Lu, Q., C. Miles, H. Tao*, and L.W. DeVetter*. 2022. Evaluation of real-time nutrient analysis of fertilized raspberry using petiole sap. Frontiers in Plant Science. 13:918021. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2022.918021.
- Lu, Q., C. Miles, H. Tao, and L.W. DeVetter*. 2022. Reduced nitrogen fertilizer rates maintained raspberry growth in an established field. Agronomy. 12(3):672. https://doi.org/10.3390/agronomy12030672.
- Lukas, S., S. Singh, L.W. DeVetter*, J.R. Davenport. 2022. Leaf tissue macronutrient standards for northern highbush blueberry grown in contrasting environments. Plants. 11(23):3376. https://doi.org/10.3390/plants11233376.
- Cucak, M., D.O. Harteveld, L.W. DeVetter, T. Peever, R.D. Moral, and C. Mattupalli. 2022. Development of a decision support system for the management of mummy berry disease in northwestern Washington. Plants. 11(23):3376. https://doi.org/10.3390/plants11152043
- DeVetter, L.W.*, F. Takeda, J. Chen, and W. Yang. 2022. Harvesting blueberries: A guide to machine pick blueberries for fresh market. Washington State University Extension Publication. FS368E.
- Dixon, E., B. Strik, J.A. Fernandez-Salvador, and L.W. DeVetter. 2019. Strawberry nutrient management guide for Oregon and Washington. EM 9234.
- Ghimire, S., D. Hayes, J. Cowan, D. Inglis, L.W. DeVetter, and C. Miles. 2018. Biodegradable plastic mulch and suitability for sustainable and organic agriculture. Washington State University Extension Publication. FS103E.
- C.A. Brun, C. Benedict, L.W. DeVetter, and T. Murray. 2016. Growing small fruits in the home garden. Washington State University Extension Publication. EM103E.