Areas of Interest
- Potato agronomy, physiology, and variety development
- Ph.D., Horticulture, Washington State University
- M.S., Horticulture, Michigan State University
- B.Sc. (honours), Biology, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario
- Professor of Plant Science, Dept. of Agriculture, Food, and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta
- Assistant Professor of Plant Science, Dept. of Plant Science, University of British Columbia
- HORT 509/510 Graduate Seminar (2018/19)
- Lecture modules in – Hort 416/516, Adv Hort Crop Physiology; Hort 425, Trends in Horticulture (capstone); Hort 490/590, Potato Science; Hort 320, Olericulture
- Horticulture and Molecular Plant Sciences Graduate Programs
- G.N.M. Kumar, Associate Research Professor
- Lisa O. Knowles, Assistant Research Professor
- Nora Fuller, Ag. Research Tech. 3
- Graham D. Ellis (PhD candidate, Horticulture, 2015-2019)
- Cody J. Dean (MS, Horticulture, 2015-2018)
- Rudy Garza, Farmer III (Othello)
Dean, CJ, Knowles LO and NR Knowles*. 2018. Auxin modulates gibberellin-induced effects on growth, yield, and raw product recovery for frozen processing in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.). Am J Pot Res 95: 622-641.
Kumar, GNM, Knowles LO and NR Knowles*. 2017. Zebra chip disease enhances respiration and oxidative stress of potato tubers (Solanum tuberosum L.). Planta 246:625-639.
Herman DJ, LO Knowles and NR Knowles*. 2017. Heat stress affects carbohydrate metabolism during cold-induced sweetening of potato (Solanum tuberosum L.). Planta 245:563-582.
Herman DJ, LO Knowles and NR Knowles*. 2016. Low oxygen storage modulates invertase activity to attenuate cold-induced sweetening and loss of process quality in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.). Postharvest Biol Tech 121:106-117.
Knowles LO and NR Knowles*. 2016. Optimizing tuber set and size distribution for potato seed (Solanum tuberosum L) expressing varying degrees of apical dominance. J Plant Growth Regul 35:574-585. DOI: 10.1007/s00344-015-9562-1.
Kumar, GNM, Knowles LO and NR Knowles*. 2015. Zebra chip disease decreases tuber (Solanum tuberosum L.) protein content by attenuating protease inhibitor levels and increasing protease activities. Planta 242:1153-1166.
Blauer, JM, Knowles, LO and NR Knowles*. 2013. Evidence that tuber respiration is the pacemaker of physiological aging in seed potatoes (Solanum tuberosum L.). J Plant Growth Regul 32:708-720.
Knowles, L.O. and N.R. Knowles*. 2012. Toxicity and metabolism of exogenous α,β-unsaturated carbonyls in potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) tubers. J Ag Food Chem 60: 11173-11181.
Weeda, SM, Kumar, GNM, and NR Knowles. 2010. Correlative changes in proteases and protease inhibitors during mobilization of protein from potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) seed-tubers. Functional Plant Biology 37:32-42.