Areas of Interest
- Potato agronomy, physiology, and variety development
- Ph.D., Horticulture, Washington State University
- M.S., Horticulture, Michigan State University
- B.Sc. (honours), Biology, Queen’s University, Kingston, Ontario
- Professor of Plant Science, Dept. of Agriculture, Food, and Nutritional Science, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta
- Assistant Professor of Plant Science, Dept. of Plant Science, University of British Columbia
- HORT 490/590 (U of Idaho PLSC 490/590) guest lectures
- Horticulture and Molecular Plant Sciences Graduate Programs
- G.N.M. Kumar, Associate Research Professor
- Lisa O. Knowles, Assistant Research Professor
- Nora Fuller, Ag. Research Tech. 3
- Jacob M. Blauer (PhD candidate, MPS Program, 2008-2013)
- Daniel H. Zommick (PhD candidate, Horticulture, 2008-2013)
- Rudy Garza, Plant Tech 3 (Othello)
- Josh Rodriquez, Farmer 2 (Othello)
Novy, R.G., J.L. Whitworth, J.C. Stark, B.A. Charlton, S. Yilma, N.R. Knowles, M.J. Pavek, et al. 2012. Palisade Russet: A late blight resistant potato cultivar. Am. J. Pot. Res. 89: 89-101.
Weeda, S.M., Kumar, G.N.M. and N.R. Knowles*. 2011. Protein mobilization from potato tubers during long-term storage and daughter tuber formation. Int’l. J. Plant Sci. 172: 459-470.
Kumar, G.N.M., Lulai, E.C., Suttle, J.C. and N.R. Knowles*. 2010. Age-induced loss of wound-healing ability in potato tubers is partly regulated by ABA. Planta 232: 1433-1445.
Weeda, S.M., Kumar, G.N.M. and N.R. Knowles*. 2010. Correlative changes in proteases and protease inhibitors during mobilization of protein from potato (Solanum tuberosum L.) seed-tubers. Functional Plant Biology 37: 32-42.
Nissen, M., Youn, B., Knowles, D.B., Ballinger, J.W., Lam, K.S., Kumar, G.N.M., Knowles, N.R., and ChulHee Kang. 2009. Characterization of potato multicystatin and its structural comparison with other cystatins. Plant Cell 21: 861-875.
Knowles, N.R.*, Driskill E.P. Jr., and L.O. Knowles. 2009. Sweetening responses of potato tubers of different maturity to conventional and non-conventional storage temperature regimes. Postharvest Biol. Tech. 52: 49-61.