Endowed Chair – Tree Fruit Physiology and Management
(WSU Faculty member since 2013)
Areas of interest
- Orchard management
- Training systems
- Rootstocks and cultivar evaluation
- Light interception
- Productive habitus
- Fruit quality
- Saline stress
- Ph.D., Horticulture (Pomology) – University of Bologna, Dipartimento Colture Arboree, 1996 (Studies on physiological and biochemical aspect of graft-incompatibility).
- M.S., Horticulture (Five-year degree) – University of Bologna, Dipartimento Colture Arboree, 1990 (application of growth regulator in nursery).
- Assistant Professor – University of Bologna, January 1, 2000 – June 30, 2013
- Post-doc fellowship – University of Bologna, December 1996 – December 1999
- Graduate fellowship – Recipient of C.N.R. (National Research Council) fellowship, Dipartimento di Colture Arboree of the University of Bologna, Bologna, Italy. February 1992 – December 1992
Musacchi S., 2011. Training System and Management for a High Density Orchard of ‘Abbé Fétel’. Acta Horticulture 909: 225-240.
Costa F., Alba R., Schouten H., Soglio V., Gianfranceschi L., Serra S., Musacchi S., Sansavini S., Costa G., Fei Z., Giovannoni J., 2010. Use of homologous and heterologous gene expression profiling tools to characterize transcription dynamics during apple fruit maturation and ripening. BMC Plant Biol. 10(1): 229.
Lugli S., Musacchi S., 2010. Ultra high-density sweet cherry plantings. Compact Fruit Tree 43: 15-19.
Nocito F., Espen L., Fedeli, Lancilli C., Musacchi S., Serra S., Sansavini S., Cocucci M., Sacchi G.A., 2010. Oxidative stress and senescence-like status in pear calli co-cultured on suspensions of incompatible quince microcalli. Tree Physiology 30: 450-458.
Pierantoni L., Dondini L., De Franceschi P., Musacchi S., Winkel-Shirley B.J., Sansavini S., 2010. Mapping of an anthocyanin-regulating MYB transcription factor and its expression in red and green pear, Pyrus communis. Plant Physiology and Biochemistry 48: 1020-1026.
Musacchi S., 2009. Training systems and orchard management for Southern European Pear orchard. Compact Fruit Tree 42:16-19.
Dondini L., Pierantoni L., Ancarani V., D’Angelo M., Cho K.H., Shin I.S., Musacchi S., Kang S.J., Sansavini S., 2008. The inheritance of the red colour character in European pear (Pyrus communis L.) and its map position in the mutated cultivar ‘Max Red Bartlett’. Plant Breeding 127: 524-526.
Musacchi S., 2008. Bibaum®: A New Training System for Pear Orchard. Acta Horticulture 800: 763-768.
Musacchi S., Quartieri M., Tagliavini M., 2006. Pear (Pyrus communis) but not quince (Cydonia oblonga) roots are able to prevent excessive uptake of Cl- and Na+ in saline soils. European Journal of Agronomy, 24: 268-275.
Musacchi S., Pagliuca G., Kindt M., Piretti M.V. and Sansavini S., 2000. Flavonoids as markers for pear-quince graft incompatibility. Journal of Applied Botany 74 (5/6): 206-211.
Office: WSU Tree Fruit Research and Extension Center
1100 N. Western Ave.
Wenatchee, WA 98801-1230
Phone: (509) 663-8181 ext. 236
Fax: (509) 662-8714
Mobile: (509) 415 9770