(WSU Faculty member since 1994)
To read more about research projects conducted by Carol Miles, click here.
Areas of Interest
- Focus: High value vegetable crops, including wasabi, pea shoots, edamame, niche-market dry beans, wasabi, icebox watermelon, leafy greens, grafted vegetables; plasticulture; hard cider
- Ph.D., Vegetable Crops, Cornell University
- M.S., Vegetable Crops, Cornell University
- B.S., Bio-Agricultural Sciences, Colorado State University
- Vegetable Extension Specialist, Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture, Washington State University
- Agricultural Systems Specialist, Washington State University Vancouver Research and Extension Unit
- Agricultural Systems Area Agent, Lewis County Cooperative Extension, Washington State University
- Researcher, Department of Plant Breeding, Cornell University
- Consultant, Helen Keller International, Fairhaven, Connecticut
- Consultant, Academy for Educational Development, Washington, D.C.
- Peace Corps Agricultural Education Volunteer and Trainer, Cameroon, Africa
Honors or Awards
- USDA/CSREES Western Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education (SARE) Professional Development Program. Outstanding leadership, dedication and meritorious efforts, Washington State.
- Jonathan Roozen, Research Technician
- Jacky King, Research Assistant
- Jeremy Cowan, PhD candidate (2010-2013)
Miles, C. and T. Marsh. 2012. Biodegradable plastic mulches in China and U.S. In: Acacia Water. Steenbergen, F. van, A. Tuinhof and L. Knoop (Eds). Wageningen, Netherlands.
Johnson, S. and C. A. Miles. 2011. Effect of healing chamber design on the survival of grafted eggplant, watermelon, and tomato. HortTechnology, 21(6):752-758.
Ingle, H., R. T. Koenig, C. A. Miles, T. C. Koenig, and M. G. Karlsson. 2010. Diurnal fluctuation in tissue nitrate concentration of field-grown leafy greens at two latitudes. HortScience, 45(12): 1815-1818.
Taylor, M., D. Young and C. Miles. 2010. Direct marketing alternatives in an urban setting: A case study of Seattle Youth Garden Works. Journal of Natural Resources and Life Sciences Education, Vol. 39: 165-172.
Ott, K.A., R.T. Koenig, andC.A.Miles. 2009. Methods comparison for measuring tissue nitrate in leafy green vegetables. HortTechnology, 19(2): 439-444.
Johnson, S.,C. Miles,P. Kreider,and J. Roozen. 2011. Vegetable grafting: eggplants and tomato. WSU extension publication FS052E.
Johnson, S.,C. Miles,P. Kreider,and J. Roozen. 2011. Vegetable grafting: the healing chamber. WSU extension publication FS051E.
Moulton, G., C. Miles, J. King and A. Zimmerman. 2010. Hard cider production and orchard management. WSU extension publication PNW621.
Miles, C., D. Inglis, and A. Foren. 2010. High Tunnels and Biodegradable Mulch. SCRI grant public Web site, http://mtvernon.wsu.edu/HighTunnels/index.html.
Miles, C.,L. Zenz,T. Cheeke,and A. Foren. 1998. WSU Vegetable Research and Extension, http://vegetables.wsu.edu.
WSU Mount Vernon NWREC
16650 State Route 536
Mount Vernon, WA 98273