Internship – Stemilt Growers
Stemilt Growers is a family-owned and operated tree fruit growing, packing, and shipping company based in Wenatchee, Washington. Stemilt grows and markets fresh apples, pears, cherries, peaches, nectarines, apricots, and organics. The company is a leading supplier of sweet cherries and organic fruits. Stemilt has also demonstrated a commitment to sustainable agriculture and social responsibility since 1989, when founder Tom Mathison launched the company’s Responsible Choice program. For more information about Stemilt, visit www.stemilt.com.
Job Title: Postharvest Quality Control Intern
Application Deadline: February 29, 2016
Start Date: May 9 or 16, 2016
End Date: August 12, 2016
Compensation: $12 – $15 / hour, dependent upon experience
Education: Preferred completed Junior year, Horticulture or related field
Position Summary: The Postharvest Quality Control Intern will be immediately immersed in Raw Fruit Quality Control functions at Stemilt Growers, learning on the job under a group of excellent trainers, with decades of experience. Quality Control crews track and disseminate fruit quality information gathered at receiving locations and manage raw fruit inventories and movement of cherries, apples and pears from receiving locations throughout central Washington, to packing facilities in Wenatchee, Washington. Washington QC crews also take part in California cherry harvest fruit evaluation at Chinchiolo Stemilt California (CSC). This position will be a part of a team which acts as an information hub, providing feedback to growers, and guidance to fruit packing, shipping and sales teams within the organization. Housing will be provided in the satellite locations. The intern will report directly to Quality Control managers, and depending on development, supervise crews at cherry receiving locations.
The intern will be based in Wenatchee, Washington, but will be assigned to outside locations in Pasco, Benton City, Yakima, or Mattawa, and may also start the season at CSC in Stockton for the California cherry season.
- Evaluate Fruit Quality using modern fruit quality evaluation techniques and technologies
- Disseminate Quality information to production and field crews
- Aid in decision making processes using quality indicators
- Provide assistance in tracking Raw Fruit inventory
- Provide leadership for temporary crews of 3-8 employees
Knowledge / Skills / Abilities
- Ability to effectively communicate with a diverse group of people, including growers, truck drivers, administration, fieldmen, production line personnel, and others
- A desire to thrive in a fast paced environment, in ever changing situations, from summer field heat, to cold temperature fruit storage rooms
- Able to work independently, or in a team, as a leader, or compliant within a group
- Eye for detail, diligent in completing tasks, and able to scrutinize large data sets
- Able to learn new technologies rapidly, new software, and processes. Learning on the job, and adaptability will be necessary.
Please send Resumes to: Jake Gutzwiler email@example.com
Include cover letter and one page resume